Friday, January 11, 2008

Mini album review: Coheed and Cambria

Coheed And Cambria - Good Appollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness



Although this band has been increasingly popular in the recent months, as of last week I had only heard the name, along with positive comments about them. But after I came across their albums, I decided I was due to try them out...


A fan of the band recommended I start with his favorite album, which has quite a lengthy title: Good Appollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness. I’ll call it ‘IV’ (that’s what you see on the album cover anyway). The person in question explained to me that not only it was a concept album, but that all their four main studio albums are based on a sci-fi comic book series, so they are part of the same story, in which Coheed and Cambria are the two main characters. That’s why, I presume, some people like to call them a ‘concept band’, as opposed to bands that make ‘concept albums’.



Well, let me tell you that I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The style is refreshing. Some say it’s Progressive Rock, although in some music stores, they’re classified under Punk. I think they are neither, although I do recognize those styles in there. There are a few acoustic bits, and many heavy parts, but all the way through, the melodies are very catchy. I’m a sucker for vocal harmonies, and on this album, I can say it is rare that there isn’t any vocal harmonies. The singer has a high pitched voice, which some people might not like, but I do like it. At this point anyway, I would not want it otherwise. They would not sound like Coheed And Cambria anymore... All in all, very accessible and melodic, with a heavy penchant.


I’m not certain with which band I could compare them, would I be ask how do they sound. For some reason I first thought of a less progressive version of A.C.T - oh wait, bad comparison, there are much better chances that you actually heard C&C than A.C.T... Let's say then, a less experimental, more accessible Mars Volta. The vocal pitch reminds me of Geddy Lee of Rush, although it's not the same vocal style. Plus an alternative side similar to Muse. But in the end, they are hard to describe. I recommend you go to their official web site, where you can listen to some of their material yourself. Highly recommended.


My Rating: * * * * ½

3 comments:

Ben-Ohki said...

thanks! I just checked out their site and the samples make me think the TRUE alternative is back! (You know, the Alternative before the industry started calling Grunge "alternative." I'm going to have to track down some of the albums.

MrBabou said...

I only have one abum myself, and am also going to track down the others. Some say IV is not their best, and yet I really like it, so I should enjoy the others. On the other hand, some also say IV is their best...

Anonymous said...

They are featured in Rock Band, that's why people hear more and more about them.

By the way, it's weirdguy, just too lazy to log on my account.